Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Just makes you want to quit

I don't really want to talk about it, but it's about all that's on my mind this week. Grace, my Ayrshire calf born March 31, died Saturday. She got sick last week and just couldn't shake it. Nate probably shot half a bottle of Excenel into her, but it didn't seem to help. I feel awful about it because I wanted her to be the start of rebuilding a nice group of registered cows.

I know there will be more calves. I have two more heifers due soon. One Holstein in May (which is confirmed a heifer by ultrasound) and one Ayrshire in June. But right now I just feel awful and frustrated with the whole thing.

Seems like I just can't catch a break with any of my cattle. For all I've bought over the years (not to mention all the money spent), I'm down to these four I have in Medford and one or two more cows still at home. My best Holstein, Vida, has yet to have a heifer. All bulls so far, and she's six. I think she's going for a record.

So I guess if I want to build a herd, I either need to start buying, flushing the ones I have or just say the heck with the whole thing. The latter is certainly tempting right now.

No comments: