Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A rather strange feeling

Well, I've been kind of quiet on this because I'm waiting to see how it all works out. The pieces are falling into place so I should probably get this off my chest.

Within the next few months, I will no longer be working on the Tribune-Phonograph anymore. At least exclusively.

Basically since the former editor left and I took over his job as an interim editor, I've not really been comfortable with my job. Long hours, little appreciation and feeling like I never was doing quite as good as I should be will wear on a person. I asked the GM to post for an editor. It took a couple weeks before we even got a reply and then they were weak.

But, along came the perfect candidate. I helped interview him, which was a rather strange feeling in itself. But, if I were him, I would be glad to hear about the job from the person working in it, rather than what management thinks I do. It seemed more like a sales pitch to me than an interview. Please take my job.

Guess I should be in sales. As of today, a new editor has accepted the job and is coming in tomorrow afternoon to go over some things and look for a place to live.

So, on to the next step. What about me?

That's still to be determined. In the short term, we're going to run a three person outfit so the new guy gets off to a good start. After that, I'll likely be working at the Star News as a reporter filling in for the guy that left there last week until they decide what to do with that job.

After that, I'm not really sure. I have some ideas for a special sections and marketing position, and I think management might see me as a daytime reporter at SN. Mainly, I need to cut back on working evenings as much as possible. It's been a point of contention between Nate and I, and it's not really something I enjoy that much anyway.

My long term goal is to be a stay-at-home mom/help on the farm/putz with photography/freelance writer, but that is quite a ways down the road yet. In the mean time, this is a step in the right direction.

No comments: