Thursday, June 26, 2008

Useful? Yes. Boring? Yes.

OK, this is a boring entry. I was pushing up against the deadline an had nothing inspiring to write about. At least that I could put in the paper anyway. I post that here later. :)

Just Tuesday I was sitting in line waiting for my fast food fix when it suddenly came to me: how much gas do Americans waste sitting in line in the drive-thru?
I typed that exact question into my Internet search engine. Judging by the 51,600 hits I got, I’m not the only one wondering. I also ran across an article by Alisa Miller who offered 101 ways to use less gas. With prices at nearly $4 per gallon, I’m guessing I could use at least 50 of these recommendations.
I have found myself very conscious of how much gas I’m using. A few years ago I used to go some place every weekend, trekking from River Falls to visit my parents or Nate. Even on the weekends I “stayed home” frequent trips into the Twin Cities were the common place.
I must be getting wiser or cheaper. I don’t remember the last time I went shopping in Marshfield. I know for a fact the last time I was in Wausau to shop was April, only because I was shopping a wedding registry at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
With the rising price I’m definitely not saving money by cutting, but I am staying within my weekly fuel budget and not spending more. My car doesn’t have a fuel economy tracker, but Nate’s truck does. When I drive it I find myself constantly checking it to see how I’m doing. Based on that, I can tell you the biggest fuel hog is stepping on the accelerator too hard. Hitting the gas drops the economy into single digits. If I can accelerate nice and easy, it stays in double digits and keeps my overall average up.
Some of Miller’s tips don’t really apply for us country folk: we don’t have the luxury of trains and buses. I doubt a Segway would get very far on some of the more aged sidewalks.
Regardless here are what I found to be the best tips out of Miller’s 101 ways to use less gas.
1. Walk. Take advantage of the easiest and cheapest form of transportation–walking. If your destination is within a mile or two, you can easily walk the distance. Not only will you save gas, but you will be doing something healthy for your body, too.
25. Take out the junk. Make sure you aren’t carrying around too much extra stuff in your car or in the trunk. 100 pounds of added weight in your car will significantly affect your gas mileage.
41. Fill up at a quarter tank. Don’t wait until the gas gauge hits empty before you fill up. Filling up around a quarter tank is better for your fuel injection system, thus improving your gas mileage.
55. Avoid idling. Turning your car off and back on again uses less gas than idling for 30 seconds in newer cars and one minute in older cars.
61. Turn off the A/C. Running the air conditioner uses considerably more gas. See if you can get by with the windows rolled down. This changes if you are doing highway driving, however. You will want to use the A/C to reduce the drag on your car that occurs with windows down at a faster rate of speed.
75. Park it. Don’t drive around a parking lot looking for the closest parking space. Park and walk. Take advantage of the opportunity for some exercise.
97. Move. This may only apply if you are in the market for a new house or you rent, but move closer to work so you are more easily able to take advantage of walking or one of the other alternate transportation methods.
I guess that last one won’t work for me, but good luck to the rest of you on getting the most out of your gas tank.

No comments: