Friday, November 04, 2005

Jake's first trick-o-treat (11/2 column)


How do you celebrate Halloween with a three month old? We came up with several different ways this past week. At first, I thought we’d just sort of skip the holiday. It wasn’t really worth buying him a costume when he won’t even be able to really trick-or-treat. The same went for carving pumpkins, handing out candy and decorating the house. Scrooge is a someone anti-Christmas, so I guess I’d have to label myself an old bat for wanting to ignore Halloween.

I did manage to find the Halloween spirit (pardon the pun) as it drew closer. First came the Presbyterian Pumpkin Fest. I couldn’t resist buying a pumpkin to take home. But when I couldn’t decide on just one, I took three home instead. Then a received a cute jack-o-lantern tea light holder as a gift. That’s when my Halloween reserve began to melt. Next thing I knew, I bought a few decorations myself.

Nate’s mom brought home a cute “Baby’s First Halloween” outfit from a weekend shopping expedition. I thought, OK, Jacob can wear that to daycare on Halloween. But then, a relative offered the cutest baby cow costume and I absolutely could not turn it down. It turned out to be a blessing because Jacob’s daycare took a little field trip to area senior homes the Friday before Halloween. Although costumes were optional, I was happy to dress Jacob up, especially as my favorite animal. Everyone at daycare said he was the cutest one that day, but I’m sure they told a lot of parent’s that.

This past weekend, Nate and I carved three pumpkins. The first one I took on by myself because I knew Nate would never have the patience for the intricate design I’d chosen. It turned out really cool, but I won’t attempt another on of those until maybe next year. I did what I thought was a simple design for Jake’s pumpkin, a cute, happy face. When I was finished, I looked over at Nate’s. As it turned out, he’s not a very talented pumpkin carver. But I was well behaved and didn’t laugh in front of him.

On Halloween, I was excited to dress Jacob in his cow costume and visit a few relatives’ houses. But when I woke him up that morning, he was all stuffed up and had a gurgling couch. Great, I thought, no Halloween. He was cranky when I picked him up from daycare, so I called Nate and cancelled trick-or-treating. But ironically, as soon as I called, he perked up, drank a bottle and was my happy little baby once again. Armed with my little bull calf, we visited his great-grandparents, great-aunt, cousin and, of course, Grandma Bubbles. That kid made quite a haul for being only three months old. I came home with an armload of diapers, cereal, a picture book, a mobile and a card.

As much as I was anti-Halloween a month ago, I’m already excited for next year. Kids make holidays fun again.

No comments: