Saturday, November 24, 2007

'Tis the Season

I have a thing about starting Christmas before Thanksgiving. I don't start shopping before Christmas (unless I can get a really good deal on someting) and I think there should be a law against having Christmas lights on before Turkey Day. It makes me sick to see stores putting out Christmas trees before Halloween.

That being said, Thanksgiving is over and that means the Christmas season is officially underway. While many people are finished Christmas shopping, mine is just beginning.

This week Nate hunted every day. He's shot at quite a few deer but still hasn't gotten one. I'm not a huge venison fan, but I wouldn't mind a few sticks of summer sausage. We spent Thanksgiving at Nate's grandparents, and Nate's cousin and her new husband, Christina and Jeff, were our house guests Wednesday and Thursday night.

I did something a little out of character Friday morning. Nate's mom and I left home at 5:45 a.m. to shop with all the crazy people. We only hit one store, the local Kmart. I was actually surprised. There were only about 20-25 people waiting for it to open. When they let us inside at 6 a.m. we hurried back to electronics with almost everyone else. Nate's mom was lucky enough to get the gift she wanted for Ryan (better not say what it is in case he's reading). I picked up a DVD player, a new winter coat for the kid, a few stocking stuffers. We were done by a little after 7 a.m. Despite my previous thoughts about people being nuts to go Black Friday shopping, it was actually fun here. Crowds were small, selection and prices were good. I suppose the diehards go to the bigger cities. I'd definately do it again next year.

I had a vacation day Friday, so now I'm just hanging out at home. I dug out the Christmas decorations, but I'd like to get a tree before we do too much. I also bought lights for outside yesterday, but I need Nate to help me cut some pine boughs to go with them on the porch.

Overall, it's been a good week!

No comments: