Friday, May 18, 2007

Relay for Life!

Volunteering has been a big part of my life in the past, but, I sadly admit, it’s been pushed aside in the last few years due to family and work obligations. As a 4-Her for 10 years, many of my childhood memories include donated time. Christmas time always included a trip to the local nursing home for carols. Spring was time for roadside clean-up, and the first weekend of June was spent bussing tables at the county dairy breakfast. Then I spent the summer in the marching band entertaining in local parades. August was fair time which meant many little hands who wanted to pet calves at both state and county fairs. They also had a zillion questions about the critters.

The school year was filled with food stands at sporting events, pep band and other unpaid hours for the good of the whole. I didn’t have a job off the farm in high school because I was too busy doing unpaid labor. In college I was a member of a sorority which meant more volunteerism, which I was happy to do. It was a pleasant break from books, and I always felt better afterward no matter what other drama was going on. Three events really stick out from my sorority volunteering. The first was a trip to a children’s hospital in St. Paul to do craft projects with the kids. My sorority also annually conducted a special “trick-o-treat” for spare change around Halloween. We raised nearly $500 for charity. The third event was “Senior Prom” held at a local nursing home.

Since college though, other commitments have prevailed, right or wrong, for the past few years. I had nearly forgotten the joy of donating my time when I helped out at Colby Cheese Days last summer. For my New Years resolution, I vowed to find more ways to get involved. When a co-worker suggested putting together a Relay for Life team, I decided it was a great chance to give back. Cancer has become a presence in my life over the past few years as I’ve watched friends and co-workers struggle with the disease. It just seemed like the right cause.

Our TP Printing team, also known as “The Headline Chasers,” has been individually raising money over the past few weeks. If you have not been asked to donate and would like to, be sure to track one of us down. Donors are welcome to stop in the office during regular hours. Or if you see me out in the community in the next few weeks, I’ll most likely have my donation envelope with me. We’re also working on a few group efforts to boost our team total. We’re still in the planning phases, but a bake sale and raffle are potential events. Check this paper next week for the final plans.

Relay for Life organizers are also planning some fun activities during the event June 8-9, 6 p.m. to 9 a.m., at Owen-Withee High School. There’s a survivors’ lap at 6 p.m. and luminaria ceremony at 10 p.m. Going with the theme, “Carnival for a Cure,” organizers are planning family carnival games with proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. We hope to see you there!

If you'd like to donate, visit my Relay for Life site: Donate Now!

Update: Plans for a bake sale and raffle are set for May 24 and 25. If you'd like me to pick you up some treats or need some raffle tickets, let me know!

No comments: