Friday, April 18, 2008

Car for sale--cheap (4/16)

I’m having a few issues with “Ol’ Not-So-Trusty.” Unlike Ben, my car isn’t so rare, nor is it that old. It’s a Pontiac Grand Am, the make’s most popular model. Even though General Motors stopped making them in 2005, it is still nearly impossible to travel any highway without seeing one.

This ‘01 is actually my second Grand Am. I started with a green ‘94 right out of high school. Even though the car already had more than 105,000 miles on it, the body was spotless and it ran great. After trekking back and forth between River Falls and Spring Green for more than three years, it was time for a replacement. The car now had more than 150,000 miles on it. While it still ran fine (and had even better paint thanks to hail insurance) I couldn’t help but feel a little nervous every time I headed down I-94.

The replacement was another Grand Am, this one black and with four doors instead of two. It was only two years old at the time with 32,000 miles on it. By a college kid’s standards, it was like having a brand new car.

The new Grand Am GT also had a plethra of features lacking in my old one. First off, the power locks worked and I had a little remote to control them with. I had a moon roof, and I got to ditch my portable CD player with car kit for the new Monsoon system in the ‘01.

My green ‘94 (also known as “Petey” to a roommate who insisted on naming all our cars) returned home to my parents. While it has had a little work, I don’t believe it’s had any major engine trouble and is approaching 200,000 miles on its odometer.
My ‘01, however, died shy of 150,000.

I’ve known for a year or two now that things were not quite right with my car. It’s had a slow coolant leak for several years. In January 2007 we had the intake gasket replaced.

A few months later, it was the fuel pump and a little glitch in the security system that wouldn’t let it start. This winter the thermostat went out on it. All these repairs are not counting the brakes, tires, belts, fuses, sensors and other parts that have been replaced. I keep telling myself I will soon have a new car, with everything that’s new on it.

Also this winter, I learned about the leaky head gasket. After conferencing with Nate, we decided to let it go and see how long it could survive. The hope was to save up enough to replace it by the time of its death.

A few weeks ago I noticed the throttle was sticking. Wanting to avoid another shop bill for now, I got in the habit of putting it in neutral when I came to a stop sign.

But a week ago Sunday is when it called it quits. The head gasket finally gave out and coolant spewed into the engine. Luckly I was close to home when this happened and limped it into the driveway. It hasn’t moved since.

After a few days deliberating its fate, we decided we are going have the head gasket replaced so I can drive it the rest of the summer. In the fall we’ll look at something different for the winter and park the Grand Am on the corner with a For Sale sign.

In the meantime, I’ve been driving my husband’s diesel pick-up. I enjoy the seat heaters and CD changer, but not its appetite. After dedicating a large chunk of my paycheck to filling its tank last week, I hope the Grand Am can be shocked back to life soon.

No comments: