Friday, March 02, 2007

Last week's column

The time has finally come for us to say goodbye to our home of nearly two years. Well, not quite yet. I still have a few months to get used to the idea, but so far it just doesn’t want to sink in. I’ve written in the past about our quest to purchase a home of our own. We’ve run the gamut of ideas: anything from building new to parking in camper in Nate’s parents’ yard. Of course, I told Nate he would be living alone in that camper.

Truth is we’re sick of driving, and so is my car. This week’s been especially complicated between illness and trying to finish up our taxes. On Monday my trusty, now-getting-old car racked up 150 miles in one day. I know this because I filled the gas tank and reset the trip ticker that morning. On Tuesday morning when I left home I checked it again. Monday’s fiasco actually started last week. Jacob came down with a touch of stomach flu which he graciously passed on to me. After spending the weekend on the couch, I was only moving at half-speed most of Monday.

I dropped Jacob off at daycare knowing he was cranky and not feeling 100 percent, but I knew I didn’t have a choice until noon. I decided then the worst part of being a working mom is when the kids are sick. You feel guilty not staying home with them, and you feel guilty not being at work. It’s hard to tell which blade of that double-edged sword is sharper. Nate and I were able to work it out, but not without a lot of running. I picked him up and took him to Dad at the farm during Nate’s break between chores, then rushed to Dorchester to see U.S. Senator Russ Feingold.

Afterward it was back to the farm to keep an eye on the kid while the guys went back out to the barn. When Grandma Bubbles got home from work I headed out to my evening of school board and basketball. In the meantime, Jacob’s caretaker shifted to Auntie Hun Bun while Grandma headed to her own basketball game. I found him sleeping on the living room floor a few hours later when I went to retrieve him. All the different faces that day must have just worn him right out.

So 150 miles later, Nate and I made it back to our humble, rented abode. This is when the decision to break our lease was solidified. All this driving is costing us money that could be making a house payment, not to mention the dollars we’re sinking into rent. So how is the house coming? (As is the favorite question of all our friends, neighbors, relatives and even the guy who picks up our milk.) It’s making progress. The outside is nearly complete and the sheetrock is up inside. Dry wall should go in soon, followed by the kitchen fixtures, plumbing and heat ducts. But will it get done by May 1? That’s still a little up in the air. If not I guess there’s always a camper in the yard.

No comments: