Friday, November 10, 2006

I'm not a jinx! (11/1 column)

This past weekend seemed to last forever. Come to think of it, the extra hour given to us on Sunday morning (or Saturday night, depending on what you were doing at that time) did make it the longest of the year. Since teacher convention put plenty of students (and bus drivers) on vacation for a few days, my mom and dad decided to take a vacation. They left the farm in the hands of my bus driving and school-age siblings and headed north.

Since my mom had a school board meeting Wednesday evening, it was a little later before they reached the Northwoods. Luckily, but unluckily for the parents, Jacob was full-out hyper so he was ready to greet them when they finally arrived shortly after 10 p.m. The following morning, after they rolled a groggy little boy out of bed, they kidnapped Jacob for a few days and ventured farther north. They visited my great aunt near Hazelhurst, then settled into a hotel with pool for the night. Jacob had a big time tearing around the kiddie pool. The best part about having him in a shallow pool is he can’t move very fast, but it took him a little while to realize that. He took off on his typical dead run the first few times only to falling flat on his face after two and a half steps.

Meanwhile Nate and I were at home going about our normal routine. He waged war against the combine while I returned home to an awfully quite house Thursday night. Then again, it was nice to watch Grey’s Anatomy without little fingers turning the screen on and off.

On Friday afternoon the ragged-looking grandparents returned back to the area, but weren’t quite ready to hand the kid back over. I took a ride with Nate on the new-to-us combine while Grandma entertained Jacob. We enjoyed a nice evening out with a couple from Edgar Friday night. It’s been a long time since Nate and I had a night out without the child. It was nice to enjoy a meal without having to split it with a hungry toddler.

On Saturday Mom and I headed to my grandparents with Jacob and my brother for a short visit. Dad stayed back at the farm to help with the corn harvest. Nate even shared combine driving duties for a little while. While everyone else was out enjoying Halloween parties Saturday night, we all turned in early in anticipation of the Big Game. Thanks to my mom, we came into possession of four tickets to Sunday’s Packer game. What a game it was. Although the weather forecasters had been rather wishy-washy all week, it turned out to be a beautiful day, just right for jeans and a sweatshirt. For some, a cheese bra was all that was needed.

It turns out I’m not a jinx, and the Packers turned in a convincing win over the Cardinals. Brett Favre even got in on the scoring action, running the ball in for the first time since 2001. He even did the customary Lambeau Leap in celebration. It was a busy weekend, but with the extra hour, I almost felt like I was sleeping in Monday. We should add an hour every weekend. Or just make it an extra day.

No comments: