Thursday, September 07, 2006

A family of bus drivers...(9/6 column)

It’s back to school time once more. The dreaded September (formerly August when I was younger) has lost some of its meaning since I entered the working world. In my particular line of work, I do notice a few differences. It’s a lot more exciting to come to work when school’s in session. It’s a whole new page in the paper to enjoy (watch for a new look on the school page next week), concerts and sporting events.

But the impact of school on my daily schedule is a lot less dramatic than some of my relatives. My mother-in-law is a elementary teacher, so she’s been back working in her classroom for a few weeks now. It takes a lot of hours to get the classroom organized and sparkling for the first day. My brother-in-law also started the first day of his senior year. He’s at the top of the academic food chain now, but only until he heads off for college next year.

But for my side of the family, it’s a major change in lifestyle. Two of my siblings are still students, my sister-in-law is also a teacher, and three more, my mom, brother and sister, are school bus drivers. I guess that leaves my dad a little lonely in an awful quiet house now. Or very thankful for it.

My brother actually started the school bus kick when he picked it up as his college job. It took a little creative scheduling, but he managed to make himself available to drive almost every day. Then my mom caught the bug. Now she pretty much lives at the bus garage as the administrative assistant as well as a driver. My sister, Kirsten, is the latest victim. She started driving last winter. My other sister, Kaitlyn, and I decided the school bus gene must be in every other kid in my family. That means the youngest of us is doomed to a life behind the wheel of a yellow bus.

School bus transportation is one of the safest forms of transportation there is, much safer than cars. That’s why when an accident does happen, it makes headlines. More often than not, the few deaths and injuries that do happen occur as the pupils are entering and exiting the bus. I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about near misses from my bus driving family.

Here’s a few tips to teach your child on bus safety this year:
-Have a safe place to wait for your bus, away from traffic and the street.
-Stay away from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver signals you to enter.
-When being dropped off, exit the bus and walk 10 giant steps away from the bus. Keep a safe distance between you and the bus. Also, remember the bus driver can see you best when you are back away from the bus.
-Use the handrail to enter and exit the bus.
-Stay away from the bus until the driver gives the signal that it’s OK to approach.
-Be aware of the street traffic around you. Drivers are required to follow certain rules of the road concerning school buses, but not all do.

I wish all you students a safe, happy and successful school year.

No comments: