Friday, June 23, 2006

A big dose of Dorchester Days


In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve been kind of crabby lately. Not just in my columns, but in real life, too. It’s just been one of those months. It’s been one frustration after another lately: Jacob being sick, Nate being sick, trying to save money for the Las Vegas trip, and fighting a terrible case of cabin fever on these beautiful days. But I feel much better after this weekend. I guess I just needed a good, healthy dose of Dorchester Days.

There’s something about that little village I’ve always liked since I moved here. The first summer Nate and I were dating, he took me to the park for one of his softball games. That park is such a gem in the community. So after a couple long weeks, it was nice to get outside and spend some time in the sun among people.

Jacob and I went down Friday night to check out the carnival, car show and other happenings on the ground. Even though he’s too little for the rides, he sure likes watching them. He also liked all the shiny old cars, and even got a kick out of the lawn mower pulls. Since he just got his hearing back, we left the pulls as the mini-rodders started to rev up. After snapping some more photos of the carnival, we met up with Nate before his 11 p.m. game. It was a nice surprise to find other friends there, including Jacob’s godfather and two other friends who babysit him a few times a month.

It wasn’t a very exciting softball game. Nate’s team really got steamrolled, and by about the fourth inning, Jacob fell asleep for the night. Saturday was more of the same: softball and photos. Thank you to the nice people at the gate who let Nate and Jacob sneak in to the tractor pulls with me for a little while so I could snap a few pictures.

After I’d had my fill of tractors for the day, we headed back to the park for softball. This game ended much better. Nate and the Greg’s Towing boys were pretty far ahead when Jacob started to get restless. We made a lap around the park, then tested out the swings and wooden train. By the time we finished our walk, the guys had won. After an intermission from the park to milk cows, we came back later that night so the guys could win another game.

The win meant a fourth game, but it was against the team they already lost to because of the way the brackets played out. So Sunday afternoon, we plodded back to the park for the final game. Although Nate’s team kept pace until about the fifth inning, the other team rallied and put the game out of reach. After some deep fried happiness from the Dorchester Days food stand to cheer us up, we ran into some college friends at the nearby beer garden. Then it was time to head home and end the relaxing weekend.

Re-energized, I got quite a bit done around the house that evening: repotting plants, laundry and rounding up toys scattered through the house. I later drifted off into a peaceful slumber only for an abrupt awakening at 3:30 a.m. A little boy was throwing up on the clean sheets I put on his bed that evening.

I guess it was too good to last.

No comments: