Thursday, December 29, 2005

Regifting: Tacky or thrifty?

Regifting: Is it tacky or thrifty? Many of us are currently facing this dilemma. It’s one of the drawbacks of Christmas. The gift-giving is done, so now what do we do with the stuff? In my little house, it’s tough enough to find room for the things I love, let alone the things that I don’t love so much.

Now I know a lot of my family and friends read this column, so let me first say good job guys. I can’t think of a single gift this year I wanted to throw out my car window on the drive home. But other years, I haven’t been so lucky. One year, I had a sweater that sat in the plastic wrapping for a year and a half before I finally wore it. And then, it was worn to feed calves. It was a good sweater, and I’m sure it wasn’t cheap. But, it just wasn’t my color or style. I didn’t have the receipt and the tags were off already, so I didn’t know which store it came from.

Although I can’t recall any specific regifting incidents, I’ve been tempted. In case you are, too, I’ve done a little research into the subject. Etiquette experts disagree on regifting. Some say it is bad form, but others say the focus shouldn’t be on the gift but what it represents. If someone could get more pleasure or use out of the item, why not give it to them? However, one must be extremely cautious while regifting. Nothing could be more embarrassing than giving the gift back to the original giver. At least keep track of who gave it to you. Better yet, send the gift to someone who couldn’t possibly see the original gifter. You wouldn’t want your sister opening a gift from your mother right in front of her. Out of state is the best place for regifts.

Regifts must be re-wrapped as well. Ripped and re-taped wrapping paper is tacky. You’d hate to have the target of regifting find a gift tag with a name other than their own on it. If the guilt is too much to handle, be honest. I received several nice sweaters for Christmas last year. Unfortunately, I outgrew them before I could really use them. They are now the property of my skinny sisters. “Here you go,” I told them. “I’m too fat for these now.” That maneuver killed two birds. They stopped taking up space in my closet and they will get worn before they go out of style.

Handmade and one of a kind items should not be regifted under any circumstances. Some things, like the snowman made from a sock courtesy of your mother-in-law, you will just have to grit your teeth and bear each holiday season until you can get the dog to chew it up.

If you suspect you have been a target of regifting, it’s polite not to say anything. If you dare to regift, you must be ready to accept the consequences. Some things just beg to be regifted, but all in good fun. Champagne and fruit cake are good examples. I also have a feeling someone in this office will receive a giant bucket of Play-Doh in our next gift exchange.

But remember, regifting does have its limits. So please, if something really is hideous, put it where it belongs: eBay.

No comments: